24 May 2011

Chair Update

Thought it was time for a little chair update.

I stripped the chair down to the frame (the grey square on the front was me testing the paint for the legs!) please also excuse the lego pile in the background :)



I sanded it, and painted the legs a dark grey/barely black colour. Still not sure which fabric I am using but I wanted the legs to be dark.

Before:



After:



I have just finished attaching hessian and webbing to the back and webbing to the base.

Before:



After:



As you can see the chair originally had rubber 'pirelli' webbing but it had long since perished and gone hard. I decided to just use jute webbing instead, I hope it will last longer. I have also glued and screwed a couple of joints that were still together but were becoming a bit wobbly. I am really impressed by the harness of the wood. Makes me sad that a lot of furniture these days is made form cheap pine and composite board. They wont last for the tens of years this chair has. Buy cheap buy twice, I suppose.

I am now waiting to purchase some spray adhesive so I can join some hessian to the underside of the base cushion to stop the webbing cutting into it.

This project is taking longer than I thought mainly due to the number of bits and bobs that I seem to need and I am trying to do it right and never having done anything like this before it is a huge, slow, learning curve. I am enjoying it and happy so far with my progress.

On a side note, the other week I was in town (I rarely go into the City centre) and I popped into a brand new Cath Kidston shop (just for a nosey - never bought anything) and imagine my surprise when I saw they had a re upholstered chair, exactly the same 'nursing' style chair. Their one was covered in a 'vintage' picnic blanket and they were asking £265!! This has spurred me on a bit as I am sure you can imagine :) and to think my wee chair was destined for landfil :(

Take care x

1 comment:

  1. Well done with the chair so far! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete